The Sutherland neighbourhood in the City of Saskatoon is a community with a unique and interesting history, dating back to its beginning in the early 1900’s as a railway town. Although the Town of Sutherland has since been amalgamated into the City of Saskatoon, this community is still proud of its “small town” character. The Sutherland neighbourhood incorporates a wide range of land uses, including residential neighbourhoods, a commercial corridor and an active industrial component, much of which involves the operations of the Canadian Pacific Railroad.
The Sutherland Business Improvement District (SBID) was established in 1999 with a role to work towards improving the business climate on behalf of its members. In addition to working on business and community issues, the SBID actively works with other groups within the City of Saskatoon including:
What is a BID?
A Business Improvement District is a formal organization made up of property owners and commercial tenants who are dedicated to promoting business development and improving an area’s quality of life. BIDs deliver supplemental services such as sanitation and maintenance, public safety and visitor services, marketing and promotional programs, capital improvements, and beautification for the area – all funded by a special assessment paid by property owners within the district.
The Sutherland Business Improvement District’s goal is to support the ongoing development of this long-standing and vibrant community with the hope that the businesses and residents of the area remain for many more years to come. This forward planning is attracting the attention of developers, while young families move in to replace those who move on to the next stage of their lives.
- Sutherland BID boundaries 108th street to 115th street including Gray Avenue. Plans underway to review and expand current boundaries.
- Membership of 70+ businesses.
- Rezone lands on east side of Central Ave., between 109th Street and the railway track crossing from B3 to B5A, to provide more opportunity for commercial development of this area.
- Phase 1 (109th street to 110th street) of Streetscape project completed in 2013.
- Phase 2 (110th street to 112th street) of Streetscape project completed in 2014.
- Encourage commercial property owners to consider opportunity to develop residential units in conjunction with commercial uses on a site.
- Promote awareness and undertake of funding opportunities offered to property owners to encourage façade improvements, as well as the redevelopment and development of commercial properties in Sutherland.
- Explore potential opportunity to develop a plaza area that would serve a focal point for Central Avenue, in conjunction with any development that may occur on the CPR lands fronting Central Avenue.
- Regaining the small town feel in Sutherland.
We hope you find this site useful and informative.
Sheldon Wasylenko, Chair
Sutherland Business Improvement District
Get In Touch
If you would like more information about SBID Membership, please Contact Us.